Auto accidents are the leading cause of disability assistance in the U.S. While truck accidents make up only a portion of that, nevertheless it is important for you to be aware of some vital statistics regarding truck accidents if you want to be prepared and make the most of whatever comes your way.
- There are over 400,000 commercial truck accidents in the U.S. every year.
- Over 130,000 people are injured every year in big rig accidents.
- Over 600 commercial truck drivers are killed each year in accidents.
These statistics are alarming, but they can be prevented if you know what you’re doing. Certain statistics shed light on a number of trends and facts that you need to keep in mind:
- It takes a tractor trailer truck moving over 60 m/h the length of a football field to come to a stop.
- Driver fatigue is the primary cause of truck accidents every year.
- Large trucks weigh up to 30 times more than the average car.
- Trucking companies regularly violate Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, meaning that if you get into an accident you could be liable for a lot of money.
Your health is of the utmost importance. Getting into a collision with a large truck can result in a number of debilitating health conditions, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Temporary or permanent paralysis
Many of these conditions don’t make themselves manifest until up to a year after the accident. If you are a victim of such an accident, you could end up paying bills for decades to come. People have won up to $2 million in damages from particularly bad truck accidents, and even minor ones have netted tens of thousands of dollars. Trucks are huge, and even minor accidents can have major repercussions.
The good news is that with a seasoned lawyer, you can definitely get ahead in the legal battles. Trucking companies are notorious for being lax about safety regulations; however, this means that they are quite used to legal challenges. They have a staff of lawyers on call 24/7 to try and keep victims of accidents from getting compensation. If you don’t have legal representation, there is a good chance that you will be fleeced out of your money and stuck footing the medical bills without assistance for a long time. Protect yourself today by finding a Georgia truck accident attorney!